Department of Otolaryngology
Otolaryngology is presented to students in the first-, second-, third- and fourth-year classes. Physical diagnosis skills are taught in the first year. Clinically oriented lectures and a physical diagnosis workshop are presented to second-year students. In the third year of the medical curriculum, four-week elective rotations on one of the services in East Pavilion, the St. Louis VA Medical Center — John Cochran Division or St. Louis Children’s Hospital are offered. During this period, there is teaching at the bedside, in the operating room and in the clinic, supplemented by daily afternoon lectures, Grand Rounds on Wednesdays and an introduction to audiology.
Fourth-year students interested in ENT as a specialty may take a two- to four-week elective designed to give them exposure to patient care, both in the outpatient clinic and the operating room and postoperative setting. An additional four-week elective that provides comprehensive ambulatory experience is offered to students headed for primary care.
CID at Washington University School of Medicine
The consortium of graduate-education, research and clinical programs known today as CID at Washington University School of Medicine was born out of the pioneering efforts of St. Louis physician Max Goldstein, MD. In 1914, he founded the Central Institute for the Deaf (CID), where doctors and teachers worked together to help deaf people. When CID’s school building opened two years later, its auditory/oral methods for instructing deaf children were groundbreaking.
Washington University and CID first joined forces in 1931, when CID’s established teacher training program became the first deaf education undergraduate program to affiliate with a university. Graduate programs in deaf education, audiology, and speech and hearing sciences soon followed.
CID’s research efforts began in the 1930s to study the anatomy and science of hearing. During World War II, CID’s research on hearing loss in military personnel laid the foundation for the field of audiology. CID also pioneered hearing testing and hearing aids and opened the country’s first hearing aid clinic in 1941. In September 2003, a new affiliation transferred CID’s graduate degree programs, research programs and adult audiology clinic, along with its building, to Washington University School of Medicine. The CID school continues to operate on the School of Medicine campus as CID — Central Institute for the Deaf.
Today, these programs continue to work together to fulfill a shared mission to serve people with hearing loss.
For more information
Please visit the Department of Otolaryngology website for more information.